Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Yummy Monday Morning Pancakes

Finals are coming up, and - like most Americans - I gorge when I am stressed. On Monday I woke up early to do the reading that I avoided all weekend. However, instead of reading, I made delicious carob pear pancakes. They didn't do much for my grade on the pop quiz, but my taste buds were quite satisfied.





Okay, this is a little embarrassing: this is another recipe that I got from About.com. You can find the recipe I started off with here. However, in case you haven't noticed, I almost never stick to a recipe. I don't even stick to recipes the first time I make a particular dish, and I've made these pancakes dozens of times. So, here is my recipe:

Yummy Red Pear & Carob Pancakes In My Tummy

1 ripe red pear, chopped
1 small handful of vegan carob chips
1+ cup flour*
1 tbsp sugar (okay, to be honest, I use a little more than that, but I don't measure)
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup vanilla soy milk (you can use original if that is all you have)
2 tbsp olive oil

*I start off with 1 cup of flour in the bowl, but I add a little more after all the ingredients are mixed together. Just add flour until the mix is the consistency you like.

Basically, I put everything in the bowl and stir it together. If you want to be responsible, you might want to mix the dry ingredients together first and then add the soy milk and oil.

Then, heat an oiled frying pan to medium. When measuring the size of your pancakes, be careful! This batter EXPANDS when it is on the pan. You'll end up with one HUGE pancake if you aren't careful. I usually use my 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop up the batter and plop it onto the frying pan. Make sure to see how much the first pancake will expand before adding another pancake to the same skillet.

Oh, and flip the pancakes when the bubbles start to pop. You'll want to flip them earlier - we all get a little excited - but try to resist. It's worth the wait for them to be golden!


No comments: